Research and Development Tax Credits
R&D Tax Relief is a Government Incentive to encourage companies to invest in R&D activities by claiming relief on qualifying costs. It’s a surprise for people in many industries that much of the work they undertake to grow their business qualifies for significant tax credits.
How Does the scheme work?
The R&D scheme allows companies to obtain tax relief for qualifying expenditure. Qualifying expenditure being the value invested in the development project which is based on the number of allocated people, the amount of time spent and calculated by their salary. A claim typically includes Staff PAYE, subcontractors and materials consumed in the process of Research and Development. In addition, companies that have been in a loss situation are allowed a cash payment alternative if they surrender their losses to HMRC.
The SME scheme is available for companies that have:
- 500 employees or less
- Turnover not in excess of €100m, or
- Balance sheet assets not in excess of €86m
- Employing staff directly and actively engaged in carrying out R&D
- Paying a staff provider for staff provided to the company who are directly and actively engaged in carrying out R&D
- Materials, both consumable or transformable materials used directly in carrying out R&D
- Water, fuel and power used directly in carrying out R&D
- Software used directly in carrying out R&D.
The current tax relief on qualifying R&D costs is 230% meaning for every £1 of qualifying costs will be treated as £2.30 for tax purposes.
Who Qualifies for R&D Tax Credits?
Do you attempt to solve problems for your clients or overcome issues for them?
Key Questions to ask your client –
- Do you encourage advancement in the field of science or technology?
- Do you seek to test or improve innovation new materials, process or code?
- Is there testing of your solutions after they have designed them?
- Do you work involve new processes or new ways of thinking?
- Do you encourage your team to find better, faster, more efficient, or more effective solutions?
- Are you attempting to achieve or resolution of uncertainty?
Are you carrying out qualifying R&D activity? Maybe you are attempting to develop a new product, trying to achieve something that has a level of uncertainty or even modifying an existing product or process. If this is you, then you are likely to be undertaking qualifying Research and Development.
Capital Allowance Review Service has completed R&D claims for SME’s all over the UK and with a 100% success rate we continue to help companies to make a claim for their developments with no upfront cost. Our average R&D Tax Credit claim is £50,000.
To get the process started, complete our online enquiry form today.
- 29 September 2022
Introducing Lee!We have big plans for the future at CARS! To help us expand, both locally and nationally we required expert support. To accomplish this level of growth, we’re pleased to welcome our new Head of Business Growth, Lee Parker. Lee has numerous years of experience in business development and brings...
- 27 September 2022
Behind the Scenes with a former HMRC InspectorAs part of our specialist team, we are pleased to introduce you to Mark Doodney. Mark works within our technical team and provides invaluable insights into how HMRC may view our approach with particularly technical or quirky cases. Essentially, Mark is key in ensuring claims are processed in accordance...
Our expert team are here to help answer any of your capital allowances questions or enquires you have about your commercial property.